Wednesday, March 28, 2007

True Life: I can't Stop Cleaning



So recently I have discovered that I love cleaning. I know- weird, right? I was the biggest slob when I lived at home—my floor was just like another shelf to throw stuff on. In fact, you couldn’t even tell I had a floor. It also didn’t help that my parents are basically “OCD” about cleaning and organizing, so it always felt like you were walking onto another planet when you entered my room.

Then I came to college and had a double room in the fabulous Bradley Learning Community. And my roommate was a bigger slob than I was. She and I got along great and I really enjoyed having her as a roommate, but I think her messiness changed me. I would get so freaked out when our room was messy that I would move all of her stuff to the side (yea, I was one of those people) and would vacuum the rug twice a week. I would make sure my bed was always made and my books and clothes were always put away when I wasn’t using them. I couldn’t control her mess, but I had to eliminate mine.

Then this newfound cleanliness started to spread to other types of domestic responsibilities. When I went home, I would look forward to doing my own laundry because I got to do as many loads as I wanted. Despite the fact that we finally got a dishwasher, I would volunteer to wash the dishes by hand. My parents thought someone had replaced their daughter.

This year I have my own room, so I get to clean and keep it as tidy as I want. And you don’t want to know how excited I was when my housefellow said that they bought a new vacuum for our dorm. Whenever I finish cleaning, I always feel like I just accomplished something. It often helps settle my nerves when I’m really stressed out, and it helps me focus right before I need to study for a big test.

Next year, I will be living with six of my best friends in a house. And some of those girls are very skilled mess makers. I have pictures to prove it. You don’t want to see those pictures. When we spent a weekend at our friend’s lake house in the summer, I got the nickname, “Mom” because I was constantly cleaning and cooking. I realize that I’m being just as annoying as my parents, but I have to do it.

3 comments:

Becky said...

I was the same way in high school. My room was a disaster. Once I came to college I started to become a neat freak. My parents always say its in my blood it was just dormant for so many years. My grandma is a clean freak. She cleans for fun. Also she takes two days every week to clean the house, Thursday and Friday, seriously she cleans the entire house every week it's ridiculous.

Sam said...

Wow, I can't believe there are other clean freaks here in Madison. I clean not only as my job but if there is anything out of place before I start studying, I just can't concentrate!

In regards to your experience of turning into a cleaner person when not living with your parents, it reminds of a King of Queens episode where Doug gets an apartment above a Chinese restaurant on top of his house with Carrie. And he makes you use coasters, take of your shoes, etc., but when she finds out she complains how he never does that at his real home. If you haven't seen the episode, nevermind, but I thought what a perfect post to relate to King of Queens!

Liz P. said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one :)