Saturday, April 14, 2007

A little more on Non-Places

For this week, we read “From Places to Non-Places” by Marc Auge. It was kind of long and I did not really understand what Auge was talking about when I initially read it (which was during my two hour flight delay at Logan International Airport— just a tad ironic). After our discussion on Tuesday, everything became a lot clearer.

Basically, Auge feels like there are two different types of spaces: places and non-places. Places, in the anthropological sense, are those recognized as having to do with relations, history, and identity (Auge, 77). Non-places, therefore, are everywhere else. In class, we summed up the main characteristics of non-places, which include transit, traveling, and movement, being anonymous, use of text, solitude, and absence of communication. However, all of these characteristics don’t hold for all non-places. Some of the non-places we came up with are buses, airports, hotels, malls, elevators, supermarkets, and hospitals.

Auge clearly feels that studying non-places is very important because we spend a good part of our lives in them. After our discussion, I started thinking about this more and was very intrigued. I started to think about all of the non-places I go to everyday. One “non-place” that stuck out was the elevator in McArdle Lab. I go to that building once or twice every day, and therefore ride the elevator up to and down from the eighth floor about sixteen times a week. This week, I started thinking about the whole “non-place” theory while I was in the elevator and it made me kind of nervous. I see some of the same people every day in the elevator, but I know absolutely nothing about them. Usually when I’m in the elevator, I check my phone or put my headphones in. Perhaps it is because I want to remain anonymous? Unfortunately, I’m way too shy to actually strike up a conversation with anyone in an elevator, but it definitely got me thinking.

I was bored the other night so I went on youtube, and found this very interesting short documentary on non-places. The beginning has some text in it, but it is in Spanish so I don't know what it says. Also, there is a very interesting part where a girl falls down, and it doesn't really go with the rest of the video. I thought it was pretty funny.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this video. (Now, if we could only translate the text at the beginning...)

Jon said...

I have tried talking to people on elevators before, beginning with something to the effect of,

"Well it sure is quiet in here."

Perhaps it just sounded better in my head, but I thought it was an honest effort to point out how damn awkward we all felt, and maybe to rally around that and start conversing.

It didn't work, everyone rolled their eyes at me.

Liz P. said...

Haha. Everyone recognizes that the silence is awkward, but whenever anyone tries to break the silence, it sometimes makes it more awkward! I think that Americans just don't know how to socialize well.